I have MOVED! Follow me here to http://www.cupcakeblog.com.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Recipe: Devil's Food Cupcake with Chocolate Buttercream


I made these cupcakes for my friend's birthday. Very simple, classic recipe, but made with the best ingredients I could find. They were a hit at the party.

Devil's Food Chocolate Cake
makes 24 cupcakes / 350 degree oven

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Measure out everything but the eggs directly into your mixer bowl.
2. Mix on low speed just until incorporated.
3. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
4. Add eggs, beat on high speed again for 2 minutes.

Measure out into cupcake pan lined with cupcake papers. A 2" ice cream scoop works great for this. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool slightly in the pan then transfer to a rack to cool completely before frosting.

Chocolate Buttercream
enough to lightly frost 24 cupcakes

1 stick butter
1/2 cup cocoa
4 cups confectioner's sugar
~1/4 cup milk

1. Beat butter on high for about 30 seconds until soft.
2. Add cocoa and 1 cup of sugar and beat until incorporated
3. Add half of the milk and the remainder of sugar and beat until incorporated.
4. Continue to add milk until you get to the consistency you want.

Assemble
There are many ways to go here, in this case, I simply piped the frosting onto the cupcakes with a large star tip.

18 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Yummy! These look rich and I bet they were delicious.

6/10/2005 10:15 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I keep using this recipe and I love love love it. Why would anyone use a cake mix when this recipe is just as easy and lacks weird chemical ingredients.

8/27/2005 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm from Australia, and was wondering what exactly a stick of butter equates to?
I'd love to try this recipe with the icing!

10/04/2005 1:00 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Oops! 1 stick = 1/2 cup. I hope that helps months late :)

1/20/2006 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One stick is four ounces. Hope that helps.

2/04/2006 8:32 AM  
Blogger . said...

Thanks! I tried these yesterday - yum!

3/19/2006 9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your site. I think I'm going to try these cupcakes with a lime cream cheese frosting (since I love the combination of dark chocolate & tart citrus).

4/06/2006 8:44 AM  
Blogger cintabiru said...

I felt satisfied just looking at those happy faces when they eat these cupcakes.
A big thank you frm Singapore! *hugs*

4/08/2006 7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just made these cupcakes -- just the cakes, not the frosting -- and while I loved the pillowy texture and shape, they tasted kind of flat. Wondered if a pinch or two of salt would help sharpen the flavor?

4/28/2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

My mistake - I put a pinch of salt in everything, but never call it out in the recipe! I should start doing that...

4/29/2006 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was wondering if you have tried the Devil's food cake recipe from the Magnolia Bakery cookbook? I tried it today and was quite disappointed. The texture was good but the taste was pretty blah and not very chocolatey.

4/30/2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Sigh, I have had a disaster with these cupcakes. All sunken. Wah. I was making them for my son's b'day party tomorrow.

I decided to cut my losses and just bought the 30 cupcake platter at Safeway. They're only 4 afterall.

5/12/2006 9:46 PM  
Blogger Ani said...

The cupcakes totally rocked my world! I have made them twice in the past 3 weeks. Chocolate good, good, good! Now I've got to try the chai spice. The hubby is a choco fan but chai is right up my alley!

6/05/2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger alma vogler said...

Very tasty to make. Very yummy to eat!! My first cupcake ever!

6/10/2006 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just wanted to say thanks for this recipe--I am not by any means a cook/baker, but I made these for a birthday party, and they were loved by all! I changed the frosting a little bit to one I'd already made--with whipping cream instead of milk, and a little bit of vanilla. Deelish!

6/12/2006 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the fabulous recipie! I made these today and they are awesome. Needless to say, there are very few left now. Must go make some more!

7/10/2006 5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there! your cupcakes look really pretty, making me want to try this recipe! for the cocoa stated in the frosting recipe, are you referring to unsweetened cocoa powder, the same type used for the cake?

8/02/2006 6:38 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

yes, that is exactly it.

8/02/2006 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home