I have MOVED! Follow me here to http://www.cupcakeblog.com.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Recipe: Fudge Frosting

As seen on Flickr, here is the recipe I have been working on for fudge frosting. My main issue is getting the right balance of chocolates to get at the flavor I am looking for. I like something on the sweet side, but not too sweet. Something that would appeal to kids and adults alike. To make it sweeter increase the semisweet by a couple of ounces and decrease the bittersweet or unsweetened. The bittersweet gives it a bite, the unsweetened a rich cocoa flavor, and the semisweet a sweetness... So, add and subtract based on what you are trying to get at flavorwise.

4 oz bittersweet chocolate
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
10 oz semisweet chocolate
2 sticks butter
5 cups powdered sugar
pinch salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk

1. Melt chocolates and butter over double boiler.
2. Stir until smooth.
3. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Sift powdered sugar and salt into a bowl.
5. Combine milk and vanilla.
6. Add milk/vanilla mixture to sugar/salt mixture.
7. Whisk until incorporated.
8. Add melted chocolate/butter mixture to milk/vanilla/sugar/salt mixture.
9. Stir until smooth.

I usually chill it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so, whatever it takes to get it thick enough to frost. Frost the cupcakes once the frosting thick enough, but I find that the frosted cupcakes taste best hours later or the next day, after the frosting has had some time to 'set'.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love checking your site every week, you are so creative :)

I'm making vanilla cupcakes with your fudge frosting today for my daughters preschool class.

I'm going to frost them tonight for tomorrow, do they need to go in the fridge overnight?
Thanks much!

1/17/2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

I don't find it necessary to refrigerate my cupcakes unless they are cream cheese frosted or whipped cream frosted. The fudge frosting and buttercream hold just fine at room temp. I usually cover them in some way though, either in a plastic cupcake container, cake box, tupperware, or on a covered cake stand. This can help the cake part retain moisture.

I hope they turn out well!

1/17/2006 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your quick response, btw, do you have any cupcake/baking books you recommend? Also, any good decorative/frosting resources for making them look as good as yours :)

1/17/2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Hmmm, I use Magnolia's cookbook for basic recipes for cakes that I don't develop on my own. I also refer to marthastewart.com for assistance/inspiration.

I have a bunch of cupcake books, but don't use them much. As far as decoration goes, I would say, honestly, I am inspired mostly from my Martha Stewart Living subscription! I will look through the cookbooks tonight though and let you know if any stand out.

1/17/2006 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanted to let you know that I made the fudge frosting - awesome. My husband is licking the bowl as we speak.

Made 1/2 the recipe since I was making mini cupcakes, majority was semisweet and a bit of unsweetend. Next time I'm going to try your chocolate ratio.

Thanks again - now I just have to work on my piping technique. Think my star tip is too small.

1/17/2006 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this frosting 'pipe' better when it is cold?

5/01/2006 9:41 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Not really. You need it to be chilled to get it to the right consistency, but normally, I over do it and need to bring it back to room temperature before piping.

5/01/2006 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home