I have MOVED! Follow me here to http://www.cupcakeblog.com.

Monday, March 28, 2005

Baking Fun: Hummingbird Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

I made these bad boys yet again. It's probably the 20th time. They are simply one of my favorite non-chocolate cupcakes. "Hummingbird cake", from what I understand, is a southern recipe. I have seen the recipe around. Martha Stewart had it in her magazine. I forget when... I got the recipe I use from the internet. I don't remember where from as I copied it down a long time ago.



Seeing as I can't find the recipe and all the others I have found have twice the oil, I will go ahead and reprint what I have.

Hummingbird Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcakes

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, with liquid
2 mashed bananas
1 cup coursely chopped pecans

1. Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt with a whisk in a good sized bowl.
2. Beat eggs.
3. Add oil and vanilla to beaten eggs and mix until somewhat combined.
4. Add egg/oil/vanilla mixture to flour/sugar/baking soda/cinnamon/salt mixture.
5. Mix together pineapple, bananas, pecans until combined.
6. Add to the rest of ingredients and stir to combine.

Bake at 350 degrees for ~25 minutes until golden and a cake tester comes out clean. I top these off with the cream cheese frosting recipe from the Buttercup Bakeshop book.



finished product






dry, wet, and chunky

12 Comments:

Blogger Cupcake said...

Chocky Lit, thanks for the link! Your Hummingbird Cupcakes look tasty. I'll print out the recipie for one day when I'm feeling ambitious.

3/30/2005 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love hummingbird cake I am looking forward to trying your recıpıe but have one quick question
am I to drain the lıquid of the pineapples or is that going ınto the batter also ? thanks

6/06/2005 6:15 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

I use the liquid of the crushed pineapple... No draining. I will update the recipe. Thanks.

6/07/2005 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

absolutely fab hummingbird cakes oh great yumminess....in your pic the frosing is two colours did you just colour it ?
please can you help with a recipe for brownie cupcakes as my normal brownie mix was just too dry once cooked.

really enjoy the site and cant wait for more recipes, as we are not quite as mad on cupcakes in the uk as you guys..dont know why tho they are scrummie

8/06/2005 7:17 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Brownie cupcake sounds good. I shall try one soon. I would this weekend, but I want to do one more fruity one while its still summer time and the fruit is good.

We do love the cupcakes out here.

8/08/2005 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this looks fantastic...I have the same recipe from a great little book called Cakewalk by Robin Gourley (which I recommend, by the way, if you can get your hands on it)--I'm going to do a side by side taste test.

10/07/2005 1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These were yummy! drizzled some caramel on top of the frosting.

Also, I used some unbleached parchment cupcake papers that someone gave me. The cakes slipped right out of the papers. Unless you want paperless cupcakes, I would not recommend them.

1/31/2006 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just though I'd point out that the eggs in this recipe aren't really necessary due to the banana which acts as a binder. It just made it very vegan friendly. Thank you!

2/14/2006 5:38 PM  
Blogger Noted Chef said...

Chockylit, thanks for this recipe. My wife loves Hummingbird Cake and I made a batch of these for her birthday recently. She loved them.

4/16/2006 3:16 AM  
Blogger Noted Chef said...

I have posted a photo of how they turned out on flickr

5/10/2006 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, the humming bird cupcakes look like they would be great. how do i get the cream cheese frosting

thanks barb

5/15/2006 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a nut person and wondered if you thought I could substitute golden raisins for the nuts?

thanks

6/29/2006 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home