I have MOVED! Follow me here to http://www.cupcakeblog.com.

Monday, May 23, 2005

Recipe: The Horchata Cupcake Experiment #0001

I am on a drink-themed cupcake fit and this is the lastest experiment. This one came out pretty good, much better than the thai iced tea. In fact, there are many fans amongst my taste-testers at work. I am hearing things like, "the cake is perfect!" and "very horchatary".



Horchata

1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups skinless almond slivers
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 cups water

1. wash and drain the rice
2. process rice in a food processer until fine and add to a bowl
3. add almonds and cinnamon to the rice
4. add 3 1/2 cups water and let sit overnight, covered
5. blend mixture using a blender (i had to do it in two batches)
6. add 2 1/2 cups of water and continue blending (again in two batches)
7. strain using a metal strainer
8. strain again using a double layer of cheesecloth




Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcakes / 350 degree oven

1 stick butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh horchata
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 large egg whites

1. soften butter in the mixer on high speed
2. drizzle the sugar mixture in with the butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes
3. sift flour, baking powder, and salt together
4. mix the horchata and vanilla together
5. add the flour mixture and horchata mixture to the butter/sugar in 3 parts alternating between flour and horchata and beating well after each addition
6. set aside incorporated mixture
7. in a clean mixer bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form
8. fold egg whites into cake batter until incorporated
9. scoop batter into the prepared cupcake pans
10. bake in the 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean

Frosting

2 sticks butter, soft
1/2 cup fresh horchata
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
7-8 cups confectioner's sugar

1. soften butter in the mixer on high speed
2. sift confectioner's sugar
3. add horchata, vanilla, and 4 cups of confectioner's sugar to the sugar and beat until combined
4. add remainder sugar 1 cup at a time until desired consistency/sweetness is reached

Assembly

1. frost each cooled cupcake
2. sprinkle each with cinnamon



More pictures here.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cupcake said...

This looks so delicious! I wish I was one of your taste-testers.

5/26/2005 7:22 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wow. Any particular reason you picked horchata? I'm agog- very extraordinary. Way to take chances, push the envelope, think outside the box (seriously, how did you come up with this?).

Definitely going to try the recipe.

2/08/2006 8:11 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Hey, Liz. No particular reason other than I live on the outskirts of the Mission (a neighborhood) in San Francisco which is chock full of taquerias, pupusarias, etc. that sell horchata. I get it quite often and wanted to capture the flavor in a cupcake.

You should try the recipe, it's really yummy!

2/08/2006 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made these on the olther day. But I added two of the egg yolks to the batter and used a crystalized ginger glaze instead of frosting.
They're delicious. I love how subtle the almond flavour is.

3/26/2006 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried these today for Sunday breakfast and everyone loved them!
-Christina

4/02/2006 7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These were a hit at my Cinco de Mayo party last night, though, I have to admit, I used a horchata mix. Sometimes a girl has to make choices. Still, they were reccomended by the guests to new people walking in the door. -KG

5/06/2006 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried theese last night..very good but was expecting more of the Horchata flavor. I didn't make the horchata I used "cacique" already made horchata (not a powder mix). Is this why? Or is the flavor lite?

5/16/2006 2:35 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

I am glad they have worked out for most of you. As for the last comment, I am not too sure what's up. My cupcakes tasted very horchata-ry, so maybe the already mixed stuff wasn't strong enough...

5/17/2006 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog last night and I can't seem to tear myself away from it. Your pics are amazing and reading the recipes makes me almost drool. But this...this recipe...is enough to light a fire under my butt! Horchata is my favorite drink ever. I'll be trying this recipe pronto. Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us.
Oh, and I'm wondering if I can find those little baking cups that you use at Sam's Club or Costco. I'll be checking later this week. They're super cute.
Is it possible to be in love with a blog?

6/05/2006 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your site a couple days ago, and this recipe sounded so wonderful, I had to try it! The cupcakes turned out great. I used your recipe exactly, horchata and all, and they're really horchata-ry tasting! I can't wait to try some more of your recipes. I'm thinking the chocolate with tarragon sounds interesting. Thank you so much!

6/11/2006 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home