I have MOVED! Follow me here to http://www.cupcakeblog.com.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Recipe: Lavender Cream Filled Cupcake with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting


I forget what got me thinking of lavender, but regardless I really liked the way these cupcakes turned out. They are perfect for any summertime party, like a wedding shower. I served these at a dinner party along side a serving of strawberries and blueberries that I macerated with a touch of apricot brandy and some chopped, fresh spearmint leaves and topped of with a dollop of the lavender cream.

The Result

The Good: Yum. Perfect moist little cakes, creamy frosting with a hint of tartness, and a subtle lavender flavor.

The Bad: Nothing. I loved the way everything came out.

1/2 Recipe of Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes / 350 degree oven

1/2 stick butter
3/4 cups sugar
1 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg whites

1. soften butter in the mixer on high speed
2. drizzle the sugar in with the butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes
3. sift flour, baking powder, and salt together
4. measure out milk and vanilla
5. add the flour mixture and milk mixture to the butter/sugar in 3 parts alternating between flour and milk and beating well after each addition
6. set aside incorporated mixture
7. in a clean mixer bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form
8. fold egg whites into cake batter until incorporated
9. scoop batter into the prepared cupcake pans
10. bake in the 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean


mise en place


Lavender Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon lavender flowers

1. add sugar and water to a small saucepan set over medium high heat
2. heat the mixture until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon
3. stir in lavender and let the mixture sit over the heat, undisturbed for 3 minutes
4. remove from heat, strain into a small bowl, and set in a second bowl of ice to cool
5. meanwhile add heavy cream to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat with the whip attachment until soft peaks form
6. once the sugar mixture is relatively cool to the touch (it can be slightly warm) drizzle into the cream while beating on medium high
7. continue to beat on high until firm peaks form


1/2 Recipe of Citrus Cream cheese Frosting

1/2 stick butter
1 8oz packages of cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon mixed citrus zest (from lemons, limes, oranges, whatever citrus you have)
1 teaspoon citrus juice (same as above)
2 cups confectioner's sugar
3-4 drops of purple food coloring

1. soften butter in the mixer on high speed
2. add cream cheese and beat until combined
3. sift confectioner's sugar
4. add about half of the confectioner's sugar and citrus juice and zest to the butter/cream cheese mixture and beat on high speed to combine
5. add remaining confectioner's sugar in stages until desired consistency and sweetness is achieved
6. add purple food coloring and mix until consistent color is achieved

Assembly
1. using a melon baller, scoop out a bit of the cooled cupcakes
2. using a small spoon, fill each cavity with lavender cream
3. trim off some of the meat of the scooped out cupcake and place back over the cavity
4. pipe cream cheese frosting over the top
5. sprinkle lightly with lavender leaves


filling the cupcakes


finished product

Printable, PDF-version of the recipe.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for generously sharing your wonderful recipes! I have several cupcake cookbooks and honestly, your recipes and photography are superior to anything in my books.

7/18/2005 1:42 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

That is extremely kind of you to say. Thank you very much!

7/18/2005 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try it. beautifull blog and photos.


Thanks

7/19/2005 3:52 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

My favorite color in cream cheese frosting! They're beautiful.

7/21/2005 2:08 PM  
Blogger Emi said...

Where did you get your wonderful small metal bowls? How perfect for baking!

PS- all your recipes and musings are my favorite. :)

8/01/2005 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the amazing lavender cupcakes! They were a big hit at our party.

8/04/2005 3:57 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Emily, I got the little bowls at Bed, Bath, and Beyond just a few weeks ago.

Chrissy, I use a large star tip, a #6.

I am glad the cupcakes have worked out. I love these cupcakes and have made them a couple of times now. Yum!

8/08/2005 8:39 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Kelly, Wow that is strange. A cause of curdling that I am aware of is overbeating. If its just starting to curdle you might be able to recover by adding more cream and whisking it in by hand. But if its too far along that won't work. You might end up with lavender butter! Regardless, I will try the recipe again soon and see if I can figure out what went wrong.

9/10/2005 8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great pics thank you for sharing

10/19/2005 7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. I made these cupcakes for my birthday and the results were amazing. I never thought lavender and citrus could taste so good together. I had quite a bit of lavender cream leftover but that gives me an excuse to make another batch. thanks for posting this recipe. Cheers!

12/17/2005 7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful cupcakes!! What I like the most is that you don't seem to use any artificial coloring, they look amazing!!
Do you sell them anywhere? They would do sooo well here in Portland.

2/15/2006 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love backing cupcakes and experimenting with it. Never filled one though, but now I see how to fill them i'm defenetly gonna try. Thanks for inspiring me!

2/21/2006 3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran into the same problem, Kelly, when I added the syrup. I overbeat, and I wound up with some lavender butter. I wound up using that in the frosting instead of the citrus so that my cupcakes had some lavender flavor.

3/20/2006 7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this recipe sort of by accident, but Lavender cupcakes sounded enchanting. I made them this weekend with a friend, and I knew they would be good, but I had no idea they would be THIS good. We split the tasks up and she was making the cream while I was working on the batter, and after she simmered fresh lavender in the sugar water, we decided to do that to the milk for the cupcake batter as well. It turned out beautifully. Everyone who tried these cupcakes was completely bowled over by them, including my non-sweets-loving boyfriend who said he ate two immediately when he found them in his house. This was my first time cooking with lavender, and I can't wait to try it in other things. Thanks for the perfect recipe.

--Lana

5/21/2006 5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have some absolutely fabulous recipes, I can't wait to try more!

I wanted to try these so badly, but I didn't have time to fill them. So, instead I steeped a couple of tablespoons of dried lavendar in water and used it in place of half of the milk. They tasted delicious, and the flavor was very delicate and subtle, complimenting the citrus cream cheese perfectly.

As a fellow photographer, I as impressed by your images as I am by your recipes! Thank you for sharing!

--Adria in Portland

6/20/2006 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home