I have MOVED! Follow me here to http://www.cupcakeblog.com.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Samoas® Cupcake



This here is the original recipe referred to in the Chronicle article. The only difference being that the caramel filling was not published for a number of reasons, one to keep the length of the recipe down and two because they tested just as well without the caramel center. I will add that making the caramel can be dangerous! So, if you do it, please make it in a deep pot.

Lastly, I had no clue just how many calories were in one of these! I should have known what with all the butter, coconut, and cream... but seriously... I am glad I ate just a half of one. They are super rich and mini size might be more appropriate (now that's a thought).

It was fantastic to be mentioned alongside actual businesses. The folks working hard to supply us with made-to-order cupcakes! I am totally adding their links to the right sidebar this weekend.


Brown Sugar Butter Cupcakes

12 regular cupcakes / 350 degree oven
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
2. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds after each.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
5. Measure out milk and vanilla together.
6. Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
7. Add about one third the milk/vanilla mixture and beat until combined.
8. Repeat above, alternating flour and milk and ending with the flour mixture.
9. Scoop into cupcake papers about half to three-quarters full.
10. Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.


Toasted Coconut Topping

2 eggs
10 ounces evaporated milk
1-1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
3 cups shredded, sweet coconut

1. Spread the coconut onto a sheet pan. Toast in a 350 degree oven, stirring frequently to prevent burning, until the coconut is an even brown color, about 10 minutes.
2. Crack the eggs into a small saucepan and beat lightly to break up.
3. Add milk, sugar, and butter. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thick, bubbly, and golden, about 15 minutes.
4. Press mixture through a metal sieve and into a bowl to remove any lumps.
5. Add 2 cups of the coconut, reserving the remainder for assembly, stir to combine.
6. Let the mixture cool.



toasted coconut


Caramel

1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter

1. Combine the water, sugar, and the corn syrup in a deep saucepan and cook over medium heat.
2. Stir together with a wooden spoon until the sugar is incorporated.
3. Cover the saucepan and let it cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
4. After 3 minutes, remove the lid, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.
5. Do not stir from this point on, but it is important to carefully shake the pan so that one area of the caramel doesn't burn.
6. Continue to cook until the caramel turns an even amber color then remove from the heat and let stand for about 30 seconds.
7. *** This is the dangerous part *** Pour the heavy cream into the mixture. Wear oven mitts, stand away from the pan, and be careful. The mixture will bubble up significantly.
8. Stir the mixture, again being careful. Add the butter and stir until combined.
9. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside to cool.


Note: You will have leftover caramel, it stores well refrigerated in an airtight container for about a month.



the cone!


Chocolate Ganache

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate like Valrhona 61% cocao
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Chop chocolate and transfer into a heat proof bowl.
2. Heat cream until bubbles form around the edge of the pan, pour cream over the chocolate.
3. Let sit for 1 minute then stir until combined.
4. Add vanilla and stir until combined.
5. Let cool to room temperature.


Assemble
1. Using a small pairing knife, cut off the top of the cupcake in the shape of a cone. Flip the top over and cut off the cone.
2. Fill the cavity with a teaspoon of caramel.
3. Replace the top of the cone.
4. Smooth on a light coating of chocolate ganache.
5. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes to harden the ganache.
6. With your hands, press out a disk of the coconut topping and place on top of the cupcake. Press to shape the mixture into a dome.
7. Press in some more plain toasted coconut on top of that.
8. Drizzle the top with lines of ganache. Note that you may have to warm the ganache over a water bath to get it to drizzling consistency.



the ganache layer



smoothing on the ganache



drizzling on the ganache

37 Comments:

Blogger nosheteria said...

Yeow-za, that is decadence, sounds delicious!

3/31/2006 11:17 PM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Gorgeous! BTW if you REALLY want to know ... and maybe you don't! ... I use a product called AccuChef for nutrition analysis.

4/01/2006 5:40 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I noticed the nutrition info: 550 calories each!!! Wow! Mini's are a great idea.

4/01/2006 7:54 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

Good for you, Cheryl!

Even though I can't have exactly what you create, I love visiting your site for inspiration.

And thank you for the info on the gluten-free baxing mix from Gourmet Dec '05 -- it was definately better than anything else, but still not right. I've got to spend some more time with my standing mixer.

4/02/2006 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discovered your website after reading the Chronicle article. I'm so inspired!

You might want to make a small correction in the Samoas recipe. In the directions for making the caramel, you say "Where oven mitts," when you mean to say WEAR oven mitts... An excellent idea!

4/02/2006 5:33 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/03/2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

All your cupcakes look fantastic. Great work! you have made me rethink cupcakes. I'm going to add you to my blog roll. Thanks!

4/03/2006 10:53 AM  
Blogger lf said...

the pictures are so inspiring! i'm heading to my oven right now. =)

4/04/2006 7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, these are so good. They taste like the cookies! I ate 2 of these cupcake with out calculating the calories. Lets face it, with all that goes in to these babies there is no way they are good for you but try them. They are worth splurging. I did have extra caramel so I drizzled some on top with the ganache. That made the topping chewy like the cookie. Chockylit your blog is wonderful. I have made 5 of your cupcakes and each one has been delicious. Thanks for sharing!

4/05/2006 6:33 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

I am so glad you tried the recipe and liked it! That's awesome. I agree with you, cupcakes are meant to be treats enjoyed not too often (so they are special) in which case it's ok for the occasional treat to be a bit on the unhealthy-side. The problem I have is that I bake them nearly every week!

Hey, ak, I purchased a copy of AccuChef. Interesting software. Not everyone of my cupcakes is this high in calories! I actually wanted to build an app like that (a recipe database that calculates nutritional info, automatically doubles or halves recipes, provides subsitution suggestions, etc.) but online. If I ever get to it, I will let you know!

Yeah, jennifer, these are for splurging!

Hey, capello, sorry you can't have gluten! It's hard to bake without it or eggs. I actually experimented with eggless recipes this past weekend (for a cookbook so I couldn't blog about it) and I got something pretty ok. Still not like cupcakes with eggs, but an acceptable alternative. I plan to blog about an eggless version in the new month or so. I will add gluten-free to the list of things to do as well.

sawsee, I am glad the recipe worked out. Your jelly bean garnish sounds nice! I like the lemon slices, too. Candie-ing fruit is pretty straightforward and I prefer to garnish with something natural.

4/05/2006 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, WOW! I absolutely love your creativity and obvious LOVE for cupcakes. Your site has been very inspirational to me and my kitchen ;-) I would love to speak with you, I have a question or 2. However, I am unable to click your email link. My email is Tessera_jackson@hotmail.com I wont take much of your time, just an email or 2. Thanks a bunch and I really look forward to hearing from you.

Tessera
Fellow bakaholic!

4/06/2006 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to add, these happen to be my ALL TIME FAV. girlscout cookies. And what a great way for me to enjoy them! I moved to Canada in 2002 and have been unable to get any "good" GS cookies since. I'm giddy over these cupcakes lol. Definately a Splurge, but worth it.

4/06/2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger kate said...

Cheryl- You are great!! I LOVE your blog- saw it listed in the Wall Street Journal a couple of days ago and I have been looking at tons of cupcake shops, websites, blogs online- but I think yours is the best! Thanks for all your great tips. I tried the Melt in Your Mouth yesterday- YUM! Very rich and very chocolatey! My favorite blogs now are yours and a trail running one- I am a trail runner (need to be if I will be eating cupcakes!!!) :

4/06/2006 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I love your site. I'm hoping you can share some of your wisdom with me...I have a batch of these Brown Sugar Butter Cupcakes (or whatever they're called, I don't exactly remember) in the oven right now, and I can see that I must have overfilled the baking cups, because they've all overflowed except for one beautiful dome. Perhaps my conception of 3/4 is off....do you usually have enough batter to make exactly 12? I had a little bit left over, and I think I could probabaly have made two more with what needs to be taken out of the 12. I'm using the 3-1/4 oz. soufflé cups.

Thanks for any advice you have!
--Andrew

4/06/2006 10:03 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

In the recipe, I said " half to three-quarters full" which is closer to what you should be aiming for with this recipe. Some raise up more than others. And there can be other factors, like oven temp, amount of baking powder, etc.

I use a 2 ounce scoop for the souffle cups which seems to work well. Sorry they are overflowing! That has happened to me in the past, that's for sure.

4/06/2006 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just want to say that i LOVE you!!!! i made the peanut butter banana chocolate and they were SO good. and gorgeous!

thanks a lot for posting such wonderful recipes.

4/06/2006 11:38 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I plan to make these this weekend. Thanks for all the recipes and gorgeous photos of cupcakes.

4/07/2006 1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look dangerous! I'm sure I couldn't stop eating them... As always, beautiful pictures.

4/10/2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger julieyancancook said...

haha...that was the edition of the article that my mom had shown me...the one with the entire section all about cupcakes. haha. your blogs are truly inspirational, and the pictures are awesome! keep up the good work!

4/10/2006 4:15 PM  
Blogger diva said...

That looks LOVELY! wow, you should write a book and fill em up with these wonderful pics. If you already have a book, then i've just got to have it :D

4/11/2006 6:47 AM  
Blogger kate said...

Cheryl-love your site, photos, recipes, all! I keep checking for your next installment!
I wanted to make a batch of Easter cupcakes for this weekend, and tie ribbons around each one (have seen photos on other blogs, sites with ribbon wrapped cupcakes). I tried it, and they all fell off- do you have any ideas of how to keep them on??? Thx :>

4/11/2006 6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos make it look so easy. I think I'm hooked though I'll try a different recipe. Not a samoas-type cupcake eater. The citrus trio looks great!

4/12/2006 6:19 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Hi, Kate. I have seen the ribbons and it can look really nice. I haven't tried it myself. My big concern is making nice little bows. I am simply not good at bows :) I have thought to myself, how to they get them to stay and I am guessing double sided tape or glue. For professional photo shoots, at least from what I have read, they will do whatever they need to for the shot. i might be concerned about using glue if I am serving the cupcakes for eating. But a touch of double sided tape might work ok... If you figure it out, let me know!

4/12/2006 9:51 PM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Wow,
all of your posts have been nothing but absolutely delectable!!
You've encouraged me to put more arts into baking, thus beginning my journey in decorating cupcakes!

Keep it up! And, thanks for sharing all those wonderful pictures and recipes!

4/15/2006 6:45 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Chockylit, speaking of photo shoots; who takes the pictures for your blog? It seems like you are featured in some of them (or, what I assume are your hands anyway). The photos are beautiful!

4/16/2006 7:15 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Hi, Jennifer, I take all the photos myself. I set up the camera on a tripod, focus on the object I plan on working with, then use auto-timer. This usually works. Sometimes the focus is off, but I simply adjust it and redo the photo.

There was one occasion where I got assistance from my husband, the one where I was holding the container of raspberry cupcakes. That one was ard to focus for, so I asked him to do it.

4/16/2006 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your cupcakes look amazing.where do you get your cupcake liners? they are unusual

4/16/2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger teacherarbc said...

Your cupcakes are simply beautiful!!! In fact, your whole site is beautiful. :)

4/17/2006 6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These cupcakes were SOOO delicious! I made small ones, but it wasn’t worth it. Don’t waste your time, because everyone ate two anyway. My toasted coconut frosting turned out a little wet, but still very incredibly delicious. I made the caramel myself. I didn’t think it would turn out, so I made a backup plan. It ended up that it tasted way better than any caramel I’ve ever purchased. YUM!! I can’t say enough good things about these cupcakes. I used them for my mother’s b-day. I whisked in some powdered sugar in the extra ganache, and wrote on top of the cupcakes. It worked out perfectly…

4/18/2006 1:17 PM  
Blogger HappySlob said...

These look like miniature masterpieces! :) Of the yummiest kind. I just found your blog after doing a blogger search for cupcakes to go with my coffee. One rainy day, I'm going to attempt these gorgeous creations!

Thanks so much,
Christina

P.S. If you have a moment, please drop by my blog. I'd love to hear what you think.

4/28/2006 9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok I had to make these for my daughter who came home to visit. OMG! they were absoultly awesome. every one raved about them.

5/15/2006 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I live in Sweden, and I can't get evaporated milk in the supermarket. Is there something else I can use for the cupcakes? I am lost here :S Great site, by the way.

5/15/2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

"Anonymous said... where do you get your cupcake liners?" Check out the cupcake questions post. That is the first question!

Thank you very much, juliebean!

Kristi, I am so very glad the recipe worked out! yay! I love when people are successful with the recipes.

Thank you for the compliment, Christina aka HappySlob. I checked out your blogs, you are one busy blogger! Great stuff though, all important things to know for us busy bakers.

Hi, Anonymous from Sweden, I am not too sure how to make your own sweetened evaporated milk. Here is a recipe I found after googling it.

1 c. whole milk
2/3 c. sugar
3 tbsp. butter, melted
1/3 c. boiling water
Pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients in a pan. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Makes 2 cups - use in your favorite recipe.

5/17/2006 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even better than the Girl Scout cookies! I am now considering these adult only cup cakes, far too good to be squandered on the children! Thanks for the recipe.

5/24/2006 6:54 AM  
Blogger CHEF TONY said...

Hey...love the blog...well done..

got to you from posting on FancyGlassSpot blog...

Chef Tony
"ChefLife" podcast on iTunes

5/26/2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

You are welcome, Bill.

And thanks, chef tony!

5/31/2006 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made these this past weekend. They were delicious but very, very rich. I think next time I'll skip the gooey coconut topping and just have chocolate and toasted coconut. Very good though and your blog is gorgeous.

6/07/2006 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home