I have MOVED! Follow me here to http://www.cupcakeblog.com.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Papaya-Coconut Cupcakes with Ginger-Lime Cream Cheese Frosting



I made these cupcakes for a dinner party I will be going to tonight. I wanted to make something to compliment the Asian-inspired menu. It was also a good time to try out some vintage molds I bought at a flea market last weekend. I figured something dense and moist, like this recipe, would be easiest to unmold.

The texture of this cupcake is interesting, not quite a cupcake or a muffin... almost like a fruit cake, but nicer. The cake is moist, chunky, and fruity. After having tasted it, I felt that vanilla pastry cream would have been a nice compliment. Unfortunately, with limited time to shop for more eggs, I stuck with the plan of ginger-lime cream cheese frosting. The end product is still delicious and I will happy to bring them to the party.

On a side note, yesterday was the official one year anniversary of the blog. This will be the 30th cupcake recipe that I have posted and to celebrate, oh how exciting, I will be posting the 31st tomorrow. And lastly, for those of you in the bay area, I am told there may be an article about cupcakes in this Wednesday's San Francisco Chronicle, in the food & wine section. Check it out if you get a chance.


Papaya-Coconut Cupcakes
12 regular cupcakes / 350 degree oven

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 ounces papaya, chopped
1/2 cup coconut, sweetened

1. mix flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium sized bowl
2. in a separate small bowl, beat eggs to break up
3. add oil and coconut milk to the eggs and mix to combine
4. add eggs/oil/coconut milk mixture to the dry ingredients, mix to combine
5. add vanilla, papaya, and coconut to the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine
6. scoop into cupcake papers with an ice cream scooper
7. bake at 350 degree oven 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean



cooling cupcakes


Ginger-Lime Cream Cheese Frosting

8 ounces or 1 package of Philly cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or chopped fine
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon lime juice

1. bring the butter to room temperature by letting it sit out for 1 or 2 hours
2. sift powdered sugar into a bowl or onto parchment
3. beat butter and cheese at medium speed until creamy
4. add the sugar and beat until combined
5. add gingers and lime juice, beat until combined
NOTE: If you are not sure how much ginger taste you might like, start by adding half the amount and taste/adjust until you get the ginger flavor you like.
6. you can add more sugar until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like



empty molds


Assemble
1. frost cooled cupcakes.
2. top with lime zest.


29 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Ooooh, pretty. Can't wait to check out Wednesday's Chronicle. Thanks for the tip!

3/25/2006 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks very beautiful and sounds delicious (as always)! Happy anniversary!

3/26/2006 1:00 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

oh yum! tropical and pretty!

3/26/2006 4:31 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Love the ingredients. Look & sound delcious.

3/26/2006 6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, as usual -- I look forward to the article ( and the next recipe) :]

3/26/2006 8:41 AM  
Blogger Fabienne said...

Happy Bithday to your blog. The recipe seems delicious ... yummy, yummy ...

3/26/2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Valentina said...

Oh, how beautiful and delicate.

3/26/2006 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. I think I will try this, but with mango, since we have no papaya in the house. I suppose you could experiment with almost any fruits, though?

3/26/2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

You definitely could. Banana, papaya, pineapple, any of those would work.

3/26/2006 5:43 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

They are indeed vintage. I got them at a flea market in San Francisco this past weekend.

3/26/2006 8:50 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

yum!

3/26/2006 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog!

I read the Chronicle article and linked to you in my local San Fran happenings blog.

Can't wait to try some of these recipes!

3/29/2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Christine Walker said...

What a wonderful Blog!

3/30/2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger Imperatrix said...

I'm so glad I found this blog! Everything looks delicious!

A question, though:

This recipe says "1/4 coconut milk": Do you mean 1/4 can? 1/4 of the milk from a coconut that one cuts open oneself?

I'd love to make this recipe this week!

Thanks.

4/01/2006 6:21 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

oops, sorry. i added the cup.

4/01/2006 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is kinda silly question - your recipe called for 1/2 cup of sweetened coconut, how do you do that? Do you add sugar to the coconut milk? :)

4/04/2006 9:35 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

I should have been specific.. I used sweetened, shredded coconut I bought at the store. I find the packaged unsweetened stuff to be too savory tasting.

4/04/2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Getting back to sawsee. I don't have a recipe off hand. I usually go to one of my cookbooks for a basic recipe. MarthaStewart.com is a reliable resource for this kind of thing as well.

4/05/2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger Imperatrix said...

Just wanted to say, I did get around to making these on Wednesday, and we all loved them. The Consort & I loved them because they aren't at all like kid cupcakes, they've got heft, texture, and great "grown-up" flavor. On the other hand, the girls really liked the cupcakes too, so maybe it isn't "grown-up" as much as "universal".

Thank you for this great recipe. I will definitely be trying some others!

(BTW, forgive this nitpickiness, but as a copyeditor I'm hardwired to notice things like this: At step 3, you might want to change to "add eggs/oil/*coconut milk*", becuase the coc. milk isn't mentioned in the body of the recipe :-) )

4/07/2006 6:19 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Imperatrix, I thank you for your nitpickiness.I read the recipes over and over before I post them, but at that point my brain is in a sugar-induced stupor. I seriously need to signup a friend or something to edit, as opposing to relying on your gracious selves.

I am very happy the recipe worked out! Thanks :)

4/07/2006 8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chockylit!! I tried out this receipe and honestly it was the BEST cake i ever made!! Thank you!!
I love your site!!!

Btw would you have receipes for Basic Vanilla cupcakes? Something thats fluffy and nice. I have been looking around the internet and haven't found much.

4/28/2006 8:05 PM  
Blogger archana said...

Wow , never thought cupcakes are this interesting !!!!
Archana

5/01/2006 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chockylit, those photos are beautiful...you must be blessed with naturally good lighting!
I was surfing for a recipe to bake in Chinese mooncake molds for my wedding next summer. This recipe seems perfect! I was thinking of using that frosting for the inner filling.
How did these cakes turn out for you? Do you think they would do well in mooncake molds? Do you think the carved designs of the molds would be visible after baking? Do you think that this cake would withstand a frosting center?
Sorry for asking about a million questions, but on paper, that recipe looks AMAZING, but not too drastically difficult.
It will most likely be extremely hot and humid on my wedding day, so a recipe like this would be sweet and refreshing!
Your blog looks great, I will be reading often!
Thanks.

5/27/2006 7:32 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Hi, sara dawn. I do have great natural light in my kitchen. It really helps.

I think this recipe should work fine with the molds. You should definitely test it first to make sure you can see the designs of the mold.

I think its a good idea to use the frosting as a filling. In part, because you are talking about a summer wedding and this frosting wouldn't hold up well in a hot environment.

The cakes turned out fine for me. I used them in a mold and they released fine. They are definitely substantial enough to withstand a filling.

Good luck!

5/28/2006 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the advice...I can't wait to make these!

5/29/2006 7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These took me about four hours to make, but it was really fun and the results are yummy. I've gotten a lot of compliments. The presentation tip was especially useful, although I substitued apricots for papaya and that worked well. Thanks so much!

6/05/2006 2:29 PM  
Blogger leslie @ definitely not martha said...

Thanks for this recipe! I made them last night and despite some rather horrid substitutions I had to make, they turned out fabulous!
1) Discovered too late that I had no white flour. So I made them with (gulp) whole wheat. The texture is closer to a muffin than a cupcake, but they are still surprisingly yummy.
2) Read your suggestion about different fruit, and since I had pineapple, I just used it. Very tasty.
3) For the frosting, I tasted it and wanted it more "lime-y" so I added about 1/2 t lime zest and I thought it made it a bit more tangy and tropical. Tasty.

Thanks! Love your blog!

6/14/2006 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made these cupcakes a couple of nights ago as a trial-run for a party next week. Yummy! I will definately either be making these, or one of your other awesome tropical cupcakes.

While I was baking, Serious DJs (my boyfriend + our good friend) were working on a mix for their website - seriousdjs.net. They enjoyed the snacks so much, they named the mix after them. A strange tribute to your recipie, but I thought I would let you know.

6/16/2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

That is so cool! I am going to listen to it now. Awesome...

6/16/2006 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home