I have MOVED! Follow me here to http://www.cupcakeblog.com.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Coconut Rice Pudding Stuffed Cupcakes with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting & Fruit



It's been downright balmy in San Francisco this week, sunny and in the seventies. It got me thinking about beaches, coconuts, papayas, and other things tropical. I had been planning on making Vietnamese coffee cupcakes and stumbled upon a recipe for baked coconut rice pudding. I settled quickly on using the rice pudding as a stuffing for a cupcake and went from there.

The end result was quite delicious. I found though that the cupcakes tasty significantly better the second day after all the flavors had time to meld together. The rice pudding is fantastic on its own and the recipe provides for plenty of left overs. In fact each individual component - the pudding, the simple cake, the frosting, the fruit - is great. And even if one thing didn't quite come out, you'd still have a tasty treat on your hands.

Cupcakes from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook
24 regular cupcakes / 350 degree oven

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon chopped lime zest

1. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
2. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds between each.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
5. Measure out milk and lime juice/zest together.
6. Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
7. Add about one third the milk/lime juice mixture and beat until combined.
8. Repeat above, alternating flour and milk and ending with the flour mixture.
9. Scoop into cupcake papers about half to three-quarters full (depending on whether you want flat or domed cupcakes).
10. Bake for 22-25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.

Tip: It is important that the butter is at room temperature and beat well. Otherwise you might get butter chunks which sort of melt into little pools and make the cupcakes come out funny-looking. Not a huge deal, but I thought I'd mention it.



lime zest


Vietnamese Baked Coconut Rice Pudding

1/2 cup rice, short grain
2-1/2 cups coconut milk
1-1/3 cups whole milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter, cut into chunks
1 cup loosely packed sweetened, flaked coconut - toasted

1. Toast coconut if you haven't already. Spread on a cookie sheet and place in 350 degree oven for a five or so minutes shaking occasionally until golden brown.
2. Mix the rice with the coconut milk, the milk and the sugar.
3. Grease an oven proof dish. Transfer mixture into the dish, top with chunks of butter, and place in the oven. Be careful, as this is a liquidy mixture and tends to spill.
4. After 30 minutes stir in the coconut and return to the oven.
5. Cook for another 1-1/2 hours, or until almost all the milk is absorbed and a golden skin has formed on top of the pudding.
6. Remove and let cool.



toasted coconut


Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting

12 ounces or 1-1/2 packages of Philly cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger

1. Bring cheese and butter to room temperature by letting it sit out for 1 or 2 hours.
2. Sift powdered sugar into a bowl or onto parchment.
3. Beat butter and cheese at medium speed until creamy.
4. Add half of the sugar and the ginger. Beat until combined.
5. Gradually add remaining sugar (more if you have to) until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like.

Tip: For this recipe, where fresh fruit is set on top of the cupcake, it is best to use a cup or so more sugar to get a stiffer consistency. I didn't do that and the fruit slid off somewhat in transit.



fruit garnish


Assemble
1. Using a small pairing knife, cut off the top of the cupcake in the shape of a cone. Flip the top over and cut off the base of the cone.
2. Fill the cavity with a teaspoon or so of rice pudding.
3. Replace top.
4. Frost with the frosting.
5. Arrange slices of thinly sliced tropical fruit, like papaya, mango, and banana.


25 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

Ok, I'm definatley speechless at how delicious these look. Fantastic combination!

2/12/2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

oh, wow!

2/13/2006 6:43 AM  
Blogger lf said...

i love the combinations of flavors that you come up with your cupcakes! my mouth is watering... =)

2/13/2006 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these look fritzylicious. btw, when are you making the boston terrier cupcakes with 5% real terrier? i hear you can make a meal of those.

2/13/2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger Nina said...

Wow. I just discovered your site, and I can't believe how beautiful and creative these cupcakes are -- I can't wait to make some! :)

2/13/2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

For two seconds there I actually thought you were putting cantaloup on these babies and thinking why? WHY? but then it all became clear.

Gorgeous, gorgeous.

2/13/2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

First, you have a wonderful blog, beautiful pictures, well written with great information!

Second, I had to try the 'Nut & Party' cups and purchased them at Michael's. What a great idea!

Though I didn't fill them enough, you can check out my attempt at http://www.websorceress.com/2006/02/beautiful-in-red.html.

Thanks for the inspiration your blog provides.

2/14/2006 7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made the coconut rice pudding by itself. It wasn't sweet enough for my taste and I probably overcooked the pudding. The next day it was just rice, no liquid.
Is this the correct result?

You should write a cookbook!

2/17/2006 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In step 2 of the rice pudding recipe it says to add two-thirds of the sugar. What do you do with the last third?

2/17/2006 11:07 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

You win the "Find my flub" contest. The original recipe had two steps involving sugar, one to make a sauce. But when I changed up the recipe to make it a cupcake filling and I skipped the sauce. I decreased the amount of sugar, but didn't fix the step. Yikes, thanks for finding it.

kookoo kake, the pudding will get pretty solid overnight, that's expected. I cooked mine until there was no liquid left (per the recipe I used as a basis). If you didn't find it to me sweet enough, I suggest drizzling sweetened condensed milk over it.

2/17/2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger Erin Eats said...

Though my diet doesn't allow me to actually eat any of these things, I feel like I'm indulging when I visit your site. You really are full of talent.

2/17/2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger diva said...

oh my goodness! i think u're wonderful with cupcakes. how do you do it! u're inspiring me a lot. :) thanks. and oh yes, if u know of any great carrot cake recipes, pls let me know. i'm wanting to do one for a friend's bday the coming sat.

2/18/2006 7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the pudding, what does 1-1/3 fluid ounces whole milk translate to in cups?

2/18/2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Argh. Forgive me. Revisit the recipe, its been fixed. I converted everything from liquid ounces to cups. But wasn't perfect about it. The rice pudding recipe was heavily adjusted and I have reviewed it again for accuracy. Blah.

2/18/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger linq1 said...

Been a fan of yours for ages. Always rush to ur blog to see of u hv created any new magical creations. Why don't you do a cookbook? Frankly any one of ur recipes here are heads up over the cupcakes recipes i find in cookbooks. Especially here in Singapore. Anyway, keep up the good work.

2/18/2006 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I will be sure to try this soon! What a beautiful cupcake!

2/19/2006 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! Made these for my friend's 40th this weekend. I decorated them with chopped candied ginger and lime rind curls (what do you call that?) since the trop. fruit wasn't looking lovely this week. Still very pretty.

Thought they'd go nicely after dinner of Vietnamese at Bodega Bistro here in SF and they were a huge hit. Thank you for the inspiration and generous recipe sharing!

2/19/2006 8:29 PM  
Blogger Kitchen Wahine said...

Aloha from Hawaii! Got through this from Chubby Hubby.... and I got fascinated by your beautiful food photography. I have seen yours in flickr and I wanted to let you know that I used and credited your pictures in my blog so please stop by and visit. If you want me to take pictures off, will be gladly to do. I know that I should ask you first and I didn't think at first. Also, wanted to say that I thank you for sharing your recipes with us! *Thanks*

2/20/2006 1:13 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

These are so beautiful and with all of the ingredients--a real labor of love!

2/20/2006 5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is amazing, You really should publish a book so your hard work/hobby pays off - you have the process, your photos are amazing. Very impressed.

4/19/2006 7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these sound wonderful! i was telling my boyfriend about your site, particularly about this cupcake and all the unusual flavors and he had the balls to say, "why don't you make me some?" he's actually very sweet.

anywho, i want to try these out this weekend and was wondering if unsweetened coconut would work well for the rice pudding, i have a couple bags at home that i'd like to use. Thanks!

4/21/2006 11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it alright to use powdered ginger opposed to chopped? I really want to try this recipe :)

5/20/2006 8:52 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Powdered ginger is fine as a substitute. Just use what you have, add slowly, and keep tasting until you get to something you like.

Sorry, Lauren, I think I missed your question last month. Sometimes I find unsweetened coconut to end tasting savory after toasting. But I think its worth a try in this recipe if you have it handy, maybe add a bit extra sugar to make up for it...

5/20/2006 10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these look absolutely glorious...should the rice be cooked or uncooked before using it in the pudding? i'm assuming uncooked, but i have no idea.

5/31/2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

kitty, i would say in the recipe if you need to cook the rice. it is uncooked rice...

5/31/2006 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home