I have MOVED! Follow me here to http://www.cupcakeblog.com.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Melt in Your Mouth Chocolate Cupcakes with Whipped Cream



I am bringing these simple and sinful cupcakes to a birthday party. They took no time at all and I barely made a mess - there are just a handful of dishes left for the dish fairy to do. I whipped these together with ingredients I had on hand as it was a last minute decision.

In fact, the birthday party we are going to is for a guy we met because of cupcakes. I have been into cupcakes for some time (I registered cupcakebakery.com ages ago even though it basically does nothing but sit there) and stumbled upon a local SF artist whose paintings have a lot of cupcakes in them (in addition to some bizarre things which I like). I purchased a painting from her and attended some of her art shows and eventually my husband and I became friends with her and her now-husband... See? cupcakes really do bring people together.


Cupcakes
The recipe for the "melt in your mouth" chocolate cupcakes came from a fellow (and very accomplished) food blogger over at chocolate & zucchini. I threw together whatever chocolate I had which turned out to be about 2 ounces of Valrhona bittersweet, 2 ounces of Scharffen Berger bittersweet, 2 ounces of Scharffen Berger milk chocolate, and 1 ounce of Scharffen Berger unsweetened. I made this cake once before (with all Valrhona) and both times the outcome was absolutely fantastic - the perfect chocolate experience... super moist, chocolately, rich, not too sweet, and with a nice crust on top.


Whipped Cream
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar

1. whip cream on high with the whip attachment until soft peaks, about 5 minutes (I think)
2. add sugar (to taste, I like it a little on the sweet side)
3. continue to whip until stiff peaks form, try not to over beat


Assembly
1. pipe a dollop of cream on each cooled cupcake
2. top with maraschino cherries that have been rinsed with cool water and dried with paper towels


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool site! Your cupcakes look amazing. One question though, do you bake the batter in little portion cups so that you don't have to use a muffin pan? Do they come out easily from the cups?

9/18/2005 9:37 PM  
Blogger Chubby Hubby said...

Great picture. I certainly hope all these posts become a cupcake book someday soon. Hey, you could even publish it yourself via lulu.com.

9/18/2005 9:38 PM  
Blogger dangermama said...

could you post the recipe for the actual cake part of these cupcakes?

9/19/2005 7:55 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

julie - i have been experimenting with the portion cups because i think they are cute. they stand up by themselves, i just line them up on a sheet pan. they are a little trickier to eat from though. they are hard to tear apart so most people were squeezing the cupcakes out and eating them, which seemed to work fine. i have 3.5 ounce cups as well, and they were a bit easier to deal with then the 1 ounce cups.

chubby hubby - i have been thinking about that in fact. i didn't know about lulu.com though, thanks for the tip!

addie - i provided a link to the recipe that is from someone else's blog. seemed like the right thing to do (as opposed to reprinting the recipe). thanks!

9/19/2005 2:11 PM  
Blogger dangermama said...

duh... sorry, I just read the first part of the blog and didnt see the recipe - it all kind of blended in for me... now I feel like big dummy, oh well, love your blog though - you truly are talented

9/19/2005 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the scoop on the portion cups. That was a brillant idea!

I too am cupcake obsessed. I wrote a cupcake book that came out earlier this year. So professionaly speaking, your cupcakes rock! I can't wait to see what you do next.

9/19/2005 4:02 PM  
Blogger Cupcake said...

Chockylit, your Devil's Food and Chocolate Buttercream recipie worked great for me, a total moron. I can't wait to try your other recipies now, although I'll be sticking with the simplier ones. Thanks for helping to make my bake sale a success!

9/20/2005 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the baking time the same for the cupcakes? Also, about how much did you spoon into each cup? They look fab by the way...

9/21/2005 8:30 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Oops. I forget how long I baked them for. Sorry! Generally, it takes about 75% of the time. I filled these about 3/4's full.

10/04/2005 8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your site! how many cupcakes did the recipe make?

thanks!

5/17/2006 3:16 PM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Sorry! I don't remember... I made a bunch of mini cupcakes is all I remember...

5/17/2006 9:09 PM  
Blogger inger said...

So delicious and so easy! This is a great recipe to toss together before a party. I replaced the cherries on top with chocolate shavings. They looked smashing!

7/05/2006 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home