I have MOVED! Follow me here to http://www.cupcakeblog.com.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

This post and site have moved.


I had a friend ask me to make cupcakes in an ice cream cone about three years ago. I resisted for some reason, but stumbled across organic ice cream cones and sprinkles at Whole Foods and thought, why not.

Being my first time and all, I was expecting to learn some lessons. I imagined balancing the cones would be an issue, but in fact that wasn't a problem at all. I was also concerned with the wet batter breaking through the cone. That did happen a little, but not too much. What I should have been careful of, however, was overflow.

I had significant overflow on all but three of the cones. I was able to scrape the cake off, but it did leave a smudge mark. My recommendation is to leave a good half inch (if not three-quarters of an inch) between the batter and the top of the cone.


Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcake ice cream cones / 350 degree oven

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs

1. measure out everything but the eggs directly into your mixer bowl
2. mix on low speed just until incorporated
3. beat on high speed for 2 minutes
4. add eggs, beat on high speed again for 2 minutes
5. transfer batter into a container with a pour spout (like a pyrex measuring cup)
6. pour batter into ice cream cones, leave a good half inch between the batter and the top of the cone
7. bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean





Vanilla and Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
2 sticks butter
7 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I use Valrhona)

1. beat butter until creamy, scrape bowl
2. add 5 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, beat until combined
3. add more powdered sugar until you get to the consistency you want (not too stiff so that its hard to pipe)
4. take out half of the buttercream and reserve, this is your vanilla
5. add the cocoa powder to the remaining half and beat to combine, you might need to add a little milk if its too stiff, this is your chocolate buttercream


Assembly
1. pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes with a large star tip
2. top with sprinkles


Sorry I didn't get more pictures of the process, but I was in a bit of a rush to get these done to take to a friend. Next time...


19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very creative and delicious looking :)

9/03/2005 2:53 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

So cute. I remember them from a friend's party in like 2nd grade!

9/04/2005 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are too cute! Thank you for sharing your recipe and techniques.

9/06/2005 2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look terrific!

Did you have to put the cones in muffin holders so that they stood upright in the oven. AND how did you transport them to your friend?

9/06/2005 7:28 AM  
Blogger chockylit said...

Thanks!

Violet, good luck with those! The lavender cupcake recipe is one of my new favorites.

Golightly, I stood them on a cookie sheet and carefully lifted and placed the cookie sheet in the oven. That worked fine. They don't move or shift in the oven.

As far as transport, they were in the little mini-cupcake plastic container and in a box. The sides of the container weren't high enough and the cupcake cones kept falling on one another. The buttercream frosting was fairly stiff, but did get a little smushed. I am thinking long cardboard strips between each row would work... There is definitely room for improvement as far as cupcake travel containers go.

9/06/2005 8:48 AM  
Blogger Cupcake said...

My Mom used to bake these for my birthday! It was one of her two special cupcakes! The other one had chocolate pudding in the middle. Thanks Chockylit!

9/07/2005 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the "friend" she is talking about and the cupcakes tasted great and looked beautiful.

After I had mine, the tray went on a desk at work and they were gone in minutes.

I can also vouch for the lavender and chili chocolate cupcakes!

9/07/2005 2:56 PM  
Blogger Chubby Hubby said...

God... If only you did mail order!

9/07/2005 6:27 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

When I was about 12, I brought a batch of these in to my classmates at my birthday. Obviously, they were a huge hit. You can't get a cuter cupcake.

9/09/2005 7:19 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Ooh, these are the prettiest things! I've been wanting to try these out for the longest time. What's it like to eat? Does the cone get in the way? And yes, do you bake the cones in a muffin pan or do you stand them up on a baking sheet?

9/11/2005 2:29 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

I made these for a niece and nephew a couple of years ago. So cute, and they were a huge hit!

9/15/2005 8:46 AM  
Blogger dangermama said...

made these this weekend and they turned out lovely, although I had to use about double the powdered sugar in the icing to get it stiff enough, and I stood them up in a muffin pan, thanks for the great recipe

9/19/2005 7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, your post was very timely. I made these adorable cone cupcakes for my 5 year old niece’s birthday party. But I did run into a little problem, my cone weren’t crisp when I got to the party. I made them in the morning & the party was mid-afternoon. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

9/19/2005 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are pretty!

9/23/2005 10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. What a gorgeous idea! I love it!

10/03/2005 11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this recipe from Betty Crocker for making these cupcake cones. Their recipe calls for placing the batter into a cupcake liner and placing the cone upside down. I will have to try both ways.

Ice-Cream Cone Cakes
A creative twist on the traditional birthday cake. Kids will love eating their cake in a cone instead of on a plate!

1 package Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® party rainbow chip cake mix
24 flat-bottom ice-cream cones
1 tub Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy ready-to-spread frosting (any flavor)


1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
2. Prepare cake mix as directed on package--except fill each cup 2/3 full of batter (1 heaping tablespoon each). Place ice-cream cone upside down on batter in each cup.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean (cones may tilt on batter). Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Remove paper baking cups. Frost cake with frosting, and decorate as desired.




High Altitude (3500-6500 ft)
Stir 2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour into cake mix (dry). Bake 25 to 30 minutes.









Special Touch
After frosting, enjoy a downpour! Sprinkle frosted cone cakes with any of the following: breakfast cereal, animal crackers, dried fruit, candy sprinkles, crushed hard candies, graham cracker crumbs, granola, mini chocolate chips or chopped nuts.

10/06/2005 5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried making the betty crocker version of these cupcakes and it made the cones kind of chewy. Is that supposed to happen? How do I keep the cones crunchy?

10/20/2005 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I searched the internet for an "ice cream cone cupcake recipe" and this was the best-looking one I found. I made them this morning for my daughter's last day of preschool >sniff<.

My mom made these for me to take to school back in kindergarten or first grade, and I wanted to make them for my little girl.

ANYHOO, I wanted to share an idea for transporting them:

Take two empty cereal boxes and put them on their backs, so that the fronts of the boxes are up. Cut 12 circles in each box, big enough to fit the cones in. Place the finished cupcakes in the holes and put the cereal boxes into a bigger, shallow cardboard box. Worked great! (Now if I could only come up with a way to hold them up like that in the oven. We lost some...)

Anway, they are sooo yummy and the cones stayed pretty crisp.

6/16/2006 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make these (not nearly as cute, but still a huge hit) every year for my daughter's birthday. If you have trouble keeping the cones standing up, you can make a "foot" out of tin foil. Using a section of foil about 4"x6", make a little skirt for cour cone, but make sure the skirt sort of puddles at the base. You want something that will look like a *very* unsophisticated candle holder, with no foil under the cone, just around it. I have to make these next week and I'll see if I can get a pic...

7/02/2006 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home